Saturday, February 2, 2008

Heath Heath Ledger has died, so now what???

It's sad that Heath Ledger died at the age of 28 years old, but I don't think it's something for everyone to be upset about. Sure he was famous, but does that mean his death deserves more recognition than the death of another drug overdose victim? What about that person's family and friends? How awful do they feel since they couldn't stop their loved one?

America needs to get it's head out of the clouds and start being more realistic. News isn't about what Paris Hilton wore to the Oscars or whether Brittney Spears will ever get her life back on track. News is about the going ons in a country, state, county, city, or town. Not the celebrities that inhabit it.

America idolizes it's celebraties, they're all suppose to fit in this box of perfectness and when they step out of it, it becomes facinating because they're living the lives that we've always dreamed of living and are willing to do things that we're scared to do. They give us an excuse to be a stalkers. Whether or not they actually want you to stalk them is another question in itself, but they're people just like us who have been given the resources and opprtunities of a lifetime. To be able to be an idol for some kid living in the ghetto who has nothing better to do than watch VH1 is something that should be taken seriously, but many celebrities like Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton don't actually realize that they're affecting that kid in the ghetto. They make getting smashed look cool and glamorous, when it's really embarassing to have your boyfriend or bestfriend drag you back to your hotel room because you can barely stand up. I'm pretty sure they barely even remember what actually happened the next morning until they read the tabloids while nursing their hangover.

Whenever I go to check my e-mail on Yahoo, it seems that every story is about Britney Spears going to rehab or Russell Crowe is throwing phones at bell hops, there is the occasional story that is actually about something sort of relevent, like which desserts won't ruin your diet.(???) Then at the middle point of the screen there is actual news, like an article about how Chad rebels are fighting troops in the capital. Yahoo, and other companies that have news needs to start setting their priorities straight about what is newsworthy. I think the fact that Chad has rebels fighting troops near the capital is more important than whether or not there will be a Michael Jackson ad during the Superbowl.

I think probably the best part about Heath Ledger dying (if you can even think someone's death is good) is that atleast he has finished filming for the next Batman Movie!!!

Ok, now in all seriousness, it is sad that the world has lost a wonderful actor, but I'm sure Hollywood will find another actor who is handsome and can act well.

1 comment:

bcclong said...

I liked this post, I too am burdened with the countless Brittany Spears stories in yahoo mail. And as to my blog format, I actually cheated and did a google search, oh technology :).