Today while researching for some kind of crazed PETA activist blog, I managed to find a website called LMAO. LMAO is a blog for hard right winged conservatives. There is not anyone person that wites on it, it's an effort created by a few people to get the "word out" on why conservatives are amazing and right all the time. Sometimes these blogs end up having something to say that actually makes some kind of sense for a hippie flaming liberal like myself. But most of the time these guys are saying violent things to justify why certain actions are made. It has even gone so far as to actually sell merchandise like t-shirts that say things like "Fred 08, Even Allah won't save you now" or "Don't be a hate-filled lefty or I'll punch you!".
This site makes me very nervous for many reasons;
A. These are people that are not trying to look at a situation from all perspectives.
B. Like to shoot shit at people but when they turn around and fire back they get super defensive and angry.
C. Some of their ideas are interesting, and maybe useful, but it seems that they want to create more hate than good.
D. If these are only some of the people out there, will the rest of them have these same attitudes.
E. Degrading people and organizations is one of the only things they write about. (Though I will admit that PETA is crazy, they atleast try to advocate for stuff through emotional propaganda instead of using fear and torture on people, like the KKK.)
There are many more reasons, but people who talk like this make me nervous. I know part of it is the way I was raised to respect everyone no matter what, but I don't think it's a good thing to promote the killing of other people becuse they are Muslims better than killing people because they are Americans or Christians.
Being raised as a Unitarian Universalist has made is easier, in my opinion, to see the world with clearer eyes. Though I will say this, it has made it harder for me to socialize with people of the Christian faith. My religious community has a high population of people who come who are tired of Christianity and ideals and like the idea of not having to believe in one thing instead of the other. Many of the adults in my community, when teaching classes about religion usually skip Christianity, skim over it, or as in my case repeat the same stories over and over again(i.e. Birth, Death, and Resurrection of Christ). Many of these adults end up going or converting to Paganism, Buddhism, etc. But for those of us who are second generation UU's and so on, we have a small background of Christianity and more of an understanding of other religions. Many time adults make it seem like Christianity as the big bad wolf. So, for awhile I know I have been very intolerant of Christianity and have wanted nothing to do with it, but as I get older I know it is important for me to get along with people who have Christian ideals.
It has been a hard road for me and many of my Unitarian friends, but we are trying to keep our eyes open and try to understand people who are of the rigid right winged Christian background. But this blog shows my doubts about people like this and proves my suspicions of why Christian are "bad". A younger me would have just assumed as much and would make this blog an excuse to consider Christians as the bad guys. But, I'm trying to not just generalize anymore, and it's hard considering most of my life the adults of my community have been making Christianity out to be this big bad influence in the world. I'm willing to go aganist this idea and just respect that these are just a group of people's thoughts and ideas. No matter how radical this blog is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow. My grandparents would love that site...Seems like it holds views similar to theirs-- "If you don't hold my views, you're wrong. Go to hell, satanist."
I myself hold a few Christian views, but I really don't agree with everything my parish does or supports at all...I think extremists of any religion are a huge problem, and cause any other practitioners of that religion to look equally bad, since they're usually the ones who get publicity.
I see why people like that would make a blog to express their views, but I find it troubling that those views present only one perspective and only look at certain aspects of the issues...
Post a Comment