Saturday, February 2, 2008

Just a Rant

I wrote this rant while bloggin for my last entry and I wanted to post it because I felt that it was not worth erasing after all the hard work and thought that went into writing it.

My Rant on America's Pets

America today has a habit of spoiling their pets and of not knowing when to draw the line from baby to animal. As more and more empty nesters, infertile couples, etc. get lonely, many of them get pets to keep them company when they come home. Most of them do a fairly good job at distinguishing between dog and child. But then there are people, like this lady, who seem to not be able to distinguish between the two. What they're doing is called humanizing and it's a growing concern in my mind. Some people, who have hundreds of dollars to spare, are spending five hundred dollars a week on toys, clothes(why does Sasha need a ball gown now?), expensive collars, beds, etc. Some even take their dogs to the salon to have their fur dyed pink, or green, or blue, or even rainbow if you want. I know it sounds crazy, but there are seriously people out there who will do it.
The real problem with all this humanizing? Many times these people are the ones that harbor dangerous dogs that will end up biting someone. I know a lot of people think that their Snookums would never do that, but since the people of the house have let Snookums walk all over them since the beginning, Snookums basically owns the house. Also, many people get small dogs, like Chihuahuas, so they don't have to exercise them as much and think that a walk down to the mailbox is enough exercise for them. This of course is not the case, being that many of these dogs were bred to do work like killing rodents. Exercise is mandatory for any kind of dog, not just the big dogs.
From lack of exercise we have lack of stimulation for the dog and not much of a chance to become a well socialized and well mannered dog. Some people try to make up for not walking by taking their dog to the dog park so the dog can get all the exercise he or she needs. Usually, these are the yippy dogs that run around and bark at everyone and charge other dogs to show'em "who's boss". But usually nobody understands that their small dog is acting dog aggressively and think that it's cute because their dog is small and cute looking, but if a German Sheperad or a Rottweiler came up and did that to a Chihuahua, I'm pretty sure the owners would have to leave and have to worry about a lawsuit.
Some dogs, the ones that are not socialized with people very well, become people aggressive. Meaning they can't be trusted to not bite someone. I know small dogs are not seen as the vicious biting types, but believe me I think they can be some of the most vicious dogs ever. This is coming from first hand-experience. Usually these little guys get away with biting a person because they're cute, though sometimes there is actual reason why he/she is not going to get introuble. Like if a little kid trys to take away a dogs food bowl while they are eating from it. That I can understand, but when some little rat dog runs up to me right as I walk by their house and bites my ankle, and their owner tries to justify it that I don't understand. The dog that ran up and bite me I think is a lot more vicious than the pitbull that starts barking, jumping, and trying to lick my face because I'm standing in the doorway.

Anyway, that's my opinion on dog aggression and I hope that Jen doesn't count this aganist me.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

I hate when people do this to their pets! Why would your dog want to wear a dress? Sometimes I understand. My grandma has a Shi-tzu(spelling?) and sometimes buys him things, but not very much. He has an OSU sweater because where they live, it's very cold, a rain coat because it also rains a lot, and sometimes gets a Halloween costume, though not very often. That's it. People are going to extremes for their pets just to make them cute. Have you ever wondered if they want to wear it? They probably don't.

Jennifer Woods said...

Nope, won't count it against you. I like your point, totally agree.